Recipe by The Healthy Cooks
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 1 hr 45 mins Serves: 6
- 1.5kg Family Chef Pork - Healthy Roast, boneless pork scotch roast, rind on
- 2 tbsp Cockatoo Grove Midnight Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp Murray River Salt
- Roasted sweet potato, red onion and garlic, to serve
- 2 tbsp chopped roasted pistachios
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 4 x 125g punnet’s Driscolls Blackberries
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 150g unsalted butter - softened to room temperature
- 320g jar Meredith Dairy Marinated Goats Cheese - oil drained
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. For the Za’atar, combine all the Za’atar ingredients in a small food processor to a paste consistency and set aside.
3. For the pork, a tip to great crackle is really dry pork skin, to do this, simply place your scored piece of pork into the fridge, on a plate or tray, uncovered for 24-48 hours.
4. To butterfly the pork, place the pork on a cutting board, skin side down. With a sharp knife, cut down along one long side of the loin, about 3cm from the edge, stopping 3cm from the cutting board. Turn the knife parallel to the cutting board and cut inward, unrolling the roast like a carpet while you cut it. Continue until the loin is one long flat piece, about 3cm thick.
5. Spread the Za’atar mixture all over the flesh of the pork. Roll the roast up, Porchetta style and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt, ensuring to rub the salt all over the pork and into the splits in the skin. Tie with kitchen twine at intervals 5cm apart and place the pork, skin side up in a roasting pan fitted with a roasting rack.
6. Roast for 1.5 hours until the internal temperature registers between 62-70°C.
7. Turn the oven up to 220°C and roast for further 10-15 minutes or until the skin crisps up. If it doesn’t crisp, turn the oven to grill setting and watch it like a hawk until you have crackle you desire. Allow the pork too rest for 20-30 minutes in a warm place before slicing.
8. For the blackberry sauce, place the blackberries in a large deep-frying pan over a medium high heat, gently pressing on the berries to break them up a little. Add in coconut sugar and ½ cup of water and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the berries have turned to a jam consistency. Stir through some lemon juice to taste.9. To serve, place the sliced pork loin on a large platter, with a bowl of blackberry sauce and roasted veggies.
For the roasted sweet potato, place peeled and roughly chopped sweet potato in a large baking dish with thin wedges of red onion and a head of garlic, halved, width ways. Scatter over some thyme sprigs, a generous sprinkle of sea salt and a good drizzle of olive oil. Roast in a preheated oven at 190°C for 30-35 minutes or until the potatoes are crisp on the edges and soft in the center.
For extra crisp crackling, remove the entire portion of skin from the pork loin, cover the pork loin with foil and allow the meat to rest. Place the skin on the baking sheet or the roasting pan and either crank the oven to 220°C or place under a preheated grill set to the highest setting and grill for 5-7 minutes or until crackled to your liking.