Nothing says Easter more than hot cross buns, especially when you fill your house with the scent of freshly baked ones!
- 2teaspoons (1 sachet/7g) dried yeast
- 2tablespoons caster sugar
- ¾ cup(185ml) warm milk
- 2 ½cups (375g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 40g butter(softened)
- 2/3 cup(110g) sultanas
- 1teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 Egg, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup(50g) plain flour, extra
- 1 ½tablespoons caster sugar, extra
- 2tablespoons boiling water
- 1teaspoon gelatine powder
- Combine yeast, sugar and milk in a small bowl. Stand in a warm place for 10 mins or until frothy.
- Combine flour and mixed spice in a bowl. Rub in the butter. Stir in sultanas and orange rind. Make a well in the centre. Stir in yeast mixture and egg. Cover. Set-aside in a warm place for 40 mins or until dough doubles in size. Grease a Circulon 22x33cm Cake Pan.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5 mins. Divide into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Place in prepared pan. Cover. Set aside in a warm place for 10 mins.
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Combine extra flour and 2 teaspoons of extra sugar in a small bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons cold water to form a thick, smooth paste. Place in a seal-able plastic bag and cut off 1 corner. Pipe over buns to make crosses. Bake for 20 mins or until buns sound hollow when tapped on top. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Stir boiling water, gelatine and remaining 1 tbs extra sugar in a heatproof jug until gelatine dissolves. Brush over hot buns. Serve warm.