By the Balance by Deborah Hutton Team
Preparation time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Makes 16 servings
P TE SUCRÉE
- 200g plain flour
- 60g almond meal
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 125 icing sugar
- 125g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 140g Pecan nuts
- 80g white chocolate, chopped
- 80ml cream
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar, extra
- Finely grated zest from 1 orange
- Juice from half an orange (60ml)
- ½ teaspoon Murray River Sea Salt, ground
P TE SUCRÉE
- Pre-heat oven on Intensive Bake at 160°C.
- Place dry ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle. Add the butter and mix until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and mix on low speed until it just comes together (don’t overmix). Shape into a flat pat, wrap the pastry in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Dust with flour and roll the pastry between two sheets of baking paper to 4mm thickness.
- Using a 10cm plain round cutter, cut pastry discs and line 1cm x 8cm round tart tins. Prick the base of the tart shell all over with a fork.
- Place tart shells on the wire rack on shelf position 1 and bake for for 12-15 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Cool tart shells to room temperature.
- Place nuts on a baking tray and roast at 160°C for 5 minutes. Cool and chop.
- Place chopped pecans and white chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small pan on low heat, Induction setting 4, until warmed through but not boiling. Set aside.
- Pre-heat a 24cm medium frypan on high heat, Induction setting 7-8 until hot. Add 50g of caster sugar. Shake the pan evenly to cover the base of the pan and cook until melted and just caramel in colour.
- Add the brown sugar and again shake the pan to distribute, cook until caramel in colour. Add extra 50g caster sugar, cook until caramel in colour and all sugar has dissolved.
- Add the zest and juice, stirring well to combine, add the cream and salt. Cook until completely melted through and caramel in colour.
- Pour the caramel over the pecan nuts and white chocolate and stir well to combine.
- Spoon the pecan mixture into the pre-baked tart shells and refrigerate until set.
- Mixture is enough to make one 23cm tart shell.