These aromatic spiced gingerbread shortbread cookies make the perfect holiday biscuits. Great for a snack, or for a personalised gift.
You can also make and freeze the dough ahead of time, for a quick easy dessert when unexpected guests pop in over the holidays.
- 250g unsalted butter softened
- 100g caster sugar
- Juice of half an orange
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 250g plain flour
- 125g rice flour
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice mix
- Pinch of salt
- Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl and cream together using an electric hand mixer till the mixture is light and fluffy. Mix in the orange juice and orange zest.
- Add in the flours, gingerbread spice and salt and mix until you get a soft dough. If the dough is a little bit sticky, then add in a tbsp or two of flour.
- Split the dough into two and shape each one into a round disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour minimum.
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 170C / 325F / gas 3.
- Take the first disc of dough from the fridge, roll it out on a lightly floured surface till it is about 5mm thick and then cut into your desired shapes (using a 6cm diameter cutter) and lay on a lined baking sheet.
- Quickly scoop up the excess of dough re shape roll out and cut again. Repeat with the second disc of dough. You can freeze some of the cut shortbread at this stage. Bake the shortbread biscuits for 12-14 minutes until they are lightly golden.
- Let the shortbread cool on the tray for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Gingerbread Spice Mix
Pre-make this spice mix to have ready for when you bake any kind of ginger cakes, muffins, biscuits or gingerbread recipes. Adjust the amounts depending on what you need - but keep the proportions the same.
Makes: 2 tablespoons of spice mix
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoons ground nutmeg