- 2 large roasted red capsicums
- 3 large eggplants
- 150g grated parmesan
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1L tomato passata
- 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 400g mozzarella or bocconcini, torn
- Slice eggplants in half and cook slowly in a grill pan on a low heat, turning every 2 minutes until soft and caramelised. Set aside on a plate and cover with foil, ensuring eggplants stay soft and excess moisture can drain from the eggplants.
- In a food processor, add carrot, onion and celery and process until very finely chopped.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add the processed vegetables, cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and tomato passata and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine, then reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until quite thick.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Layer an oven safe grill pan or baking dish with half the strips of eggplant, then half the capsicum, a layer of the tomato pasta sauce, torn mozzarella and basil. Repeat with remaining ingredients, finishing with a thin layer of tomato sauce and grated parmesan cheese.
- Drizzle with a little oil and bake for 30 minutes until light golden.
Shop Circulon Grill pans and Saucepans